One New Year’s Resolution that should ALWAYS be on your list…
Every year when I pack away the Christmas decorations, I ask the family to write their favourite memories of the Christmas we have just celebrated and what their hopes are for the coming year. It is always heart- warming to open up the box the following year to reflect on what we have done and how the year has turned out.
Determine your goals for the year
Have you thought about your hopes and goals for 2018? Perhaps the relatives descending has helped you decide you need to move to a bigger (or perhaps smaller?!) house?
Maybe you’ve decided you’d like to plan the holiday of a lifetime, or finally make some plans with what you’d like to do when you retire?
Perhaps you own a business? Do you consider your business to be your pension plan, that one day you will be able to turn it into a handsome pot of cash to fund a comfortable retirement?
Whether you have a single-minded focus or have a list as long as your arm, complete peace of mind with your finances should ALWAYS make the shortlist – we hope!
Prepare well to benefit the most
To get the most out of any meeting with an independent financial adviser it is important that you are prepared by:
- Knowing what you spend. Being able to achieve your goals in 2018 and beyond is based on your incomings less your outgoings. Hopefully there should be a net gain for you to work with.
- Consider what changes may happen throughout the year which may change your income or spending.
- Think about what is most important to you and prioritize it.
- Focus on paying off debt, saving and investing. This will bring you the peace of mind that your financial future is on track.
- If you own a business, this could be your biggest asset. The time spent ensuring the value is maximised is often lost in amongst the day to day running of the company. Professional advice from accountants or business advisers is recommended to be able to help you make a succession plan to meet your needs.
- A New Year is a great time to consider your goals and plans going forward and 2018 should be no different. Best Wishes for 2018!
If you would like help with succession and exit planning for your business, please contact Mark Grewer: email@example.com
If you would like help in turning your goals into financial plans, please contact Nick Lawson on 01904 655202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more accountancy, taxation and financial advice visit www.hghyork.co.uk/news/